|4th Philippine Bird Festival
Meeting Minutes # 7
August 22, 2008
Trinket Canlas, Tere Cervero, Adri Constantino, Anna Gonzales,
Jhoel Jorda, Alex Loinaz, Mike Lu, Ixi Mapua, Jasmin Meren,
Rich Pijuan, Lydia Robledo, Felix Servita, Arnel Telesforo,
Cel Tungol, Gerry de Villa, Alice Villa-Real, Jon Villasper
SPONSORSHIP COMMITTEE - Felix Servita
1. Final list of festival sponsors are: Team Energy Foundation,
Department of Tourism, City of Puerto Princesa, Ramon Aboitiz
Foundation, Landco Pacific, Malampaya Joint Venture Partners,
Aigle and ROX.
2. Co-hosts are Katala Foundation and Birdwatch Palawan
SOUVENIR PROGRAM COMMITTEE - Trinket Canlas and Adri Constantino
1. The souvenir program will be more than 80 pages and printing
will cost P 160.00 at 500 copies.
2. Printing will take two weeks and we are right on schedule.
EXHIBITORS/DELEGATES COMMITTEE - Jhoel Jorda, Cel Tungol,Ixi
1. Final list of exhibitors - 16 local exhibitors (including
WBCP) and 8 foreign exhibitors = 24 exhibitors
Wild Bird Club Foundation
Team Energy Foundation
Cebu Biodiversity Conservation Foundation
Isla Biodiversity Conservation
Tubbataha Marine Office
Negros Forest and Ecological Foundation
My Zoo Foundation
Philippine Butterfly Habitat Conservation Society
Western Philippines University
Municipality of Narra
Municipality of Taytay
Asian Raptor Research and Conservation Network - ARRCN
Chinese Wild Bird Federation - CWBF
Wild Bird Society of Taipei - WBST
Xiamen Birdwatching Society - XBS
Bird Conservation Society of Thailand - BCST
Delhi Birds - DB
Nature Society (Singapore) - NSS
Nature Photographic Society (Singapore) - NPS
2. There will be one booth per exhibitor.
RESERVATIONS - Lydia Robeldo and Mike Lu
1. Air tickets sent by email or handed over to the volunteers
2. Air Philippines afternoon flight to Puerto Princesa has been
cancelled. Most foreign delegates have to rebook flights and
now are arriving in Manila on September 10 for overnight and
taking the morning flight to Puerto Princesa.
3. DOT has committed to provide airport-hotel round-trip transfers
and accomodations at the Traders Hotel on Roxas Blvd.
4. Delegates from ARRCN and CWBF already confirmed flight schedule
to Manila. NPS delegates will be going to Puerto Princesa from
Cebu. The rest of the foreign delegates have yet to send their
5. Foreign delegates are booked at The Legend Hotel in Puerto
Princesa by the Department of Tourism.
6. Local delegates are booked at the Asturias Hotel.
7. WBCP is providing accomodations for the following organizations:
WWF-Philippines, My Zoo Foundation, Philippine Butterfly Habitat
Conservation Society, Cebu Biodiversity Conservation Foundation,
Isla Biodiversity Foundation, Municipality of Taytay, Bataan
Provincial Tourism & Balanga City Administrator.
VENUE/EXHIBITS - Jon Villasper and Arnel Telesforo
1. 200 festival posters already printed, festival banner already
with the printers. Posters and bannersd will be sent to Puerto
2. T-shirts will be given to all festival delegates.
3. A special edition Birds of Palawan sticker (1000 sheets)
is being printed.
4. Three additional bird tarps will be finished next week aside
from the 9 tarps unveiled last month during the club anniversary.
5. Coloring sheets based on the bird tarps will be designed
within the next two weeks,
6. Booth layout will be done by Jon Villasper.
PROGRAMS COMMITTEE - Alice Villa-Real
September 10 (Wednesday)
- Mike Lu (morning session) and Anna Gonzales (afternoon session)
will give talks about birdwatching in the Philippines at the
Philippine Travel Exchange at the SMX Convention Center
- Arrival of foreign delegates in the afternoon
- WBCP EXECOM and foreign delegates to attend the launching
of the Guide to Birdwatching in the Philippines, Volume 1 to
be held at the Grand Ballroom of the Sofitel Philippine Plaza
at 7 pm.
September 11 (Thursday)
- Delegates depart for Puerto Princesa
- Ingress at the Puerto Princesa Coliseum at 2pm.
- Bird Conservation Forum starts at 2:30 pm
- Meeting with ARRCN and foreign delegates at 4 pm.
- Welcome Dinner by Mayor Ed Hagedorn, no venue announced
September 12 (Friday)
- Opening Ceremonies (to include talk by Team Energy Corporation
CEO/President Federico Puno)
- Birdwatching Basics (5 -10 mins) by Alice Villa-Real and Nicky
Icarangal will be included in both the morning and afternoon
- Letter to the Exhibitors informing them to participate in
the Birdquest portion by preparing questions based on their
exhibits and requesting if they can supply token prizes
- Fellowship Dinner by the ROX at the Legend Hotel
September 13 (Saturday)
- More than 40 participants signed up for trip to St Paul's.
Registration closed. Guided trip will be led by the following
guides; Arne Jensen, Aldrin Mallari, Ronald Altamirano, Tim
Fisher, Mark Villa.
- Local delegates to go on separate trip to Irawan Watershed
with guides from BWP.
- Guided trip for teachers will be held at the Iwahig ricefields
with a visit to the Palawan Wildlife Rescue Center
- articipants to Irawan and Iwahig will be invited to the Macasaet
- Participants on the optional 5-day guided trip will be at
the Balsahan Trail in Iwahig to be led by Nicky Icarangal
- Fellowship Dinner by the DOT at the Legend Hotel
September 14 (Sunday)
- Delegates leave for Manila
- Optional trip to rasa Island sponsored by the Katala Foundation
SCHOOLS COMMITTEE - Joie Matillano
- In a meetig this week by the Birdwatch Palawan members with
the Department of Education in Puerto Princesa, the DepEd confirmed
participatioon of 600 grade school students and 400 high school
- DepEd also committed 30 Science teachers (high school and
grade school) for the guided trip for teachers to Iwahig on
- Gerry Ortega of Bantay Kalikasan further committed 600 high
school students and 600 grade school students